ISO 28000:2007 Security management systems for the supply chain
ISO 28000:2007 specifies the requirements for a security management system, including those aspects critical to security assurance of the supply chain.
Security management is linked to many other aspects of business management. Aspects include all activities controlled or influenced by organizations that impact on supply chain security. These other aspects should be considered directly, where and when they have an impact on security management, including transporting these goods along the supply chain.
ISO 28000 is applicable to all sizes of organizations, from small to multinational, in manufacturing, service, storage or transportation at any stage of the production or supply chain that wishes to:
- a) establish, implement, maintain and improve a security management system;
- b) assure conformance with stated security management policy;
- c) demonstrate such conformance to others;
- d) seek certification/registration of its security management system by an Accredited third party Certification Body;
- e) make a self-determination and self-declaration of conformance with ISO 28000.
There are legislative and regulatory codes that address some of the requirements in ISO 28000.
It is not the intention of ISO 28000 to require duplicative demonstration of conformance.
Organizations that choose third party certification can further demonstrate that they are contributing significantly to supply chain security.
ISO 28000:2007, Specification for security management systems for the supply chain, is available from ISO national member institutes. It may also be obtained directly from the ISO Central Secretariat, respectively through the ISO Store or by contacting the Marketing, Communication & Information department.